In Darkness Light

In Darkness Light
Created by Greg Martin

Monday, February 7, 2011

The Droid Incredible?

I happened to pick up a new phone this past week.  Over the past 4-5 days I have played around with pretty much every aspect of the phone.  It is definitely more sophisticated then my old Samsung Sway.  That's one hell of an upgrade for sure.  

Before
Let's start with the negatives shall we?  The biggest issue I have is the battery.  Even just last night.  It was at 5% when I went to bed.  Charged it overnight.  When I woke up I sent one text message and it was down to about 90%.  Granted I do have a few applications running and although I have the "System" application to kill apps, I still end up charging my phone at least twice a day.  Now, one thing I need to realize is that I am clearly excited about getting this.  It's a top of the line phone that does everything besides scratch your back.  So whenever I have the chance I am on it.  In the future I will most likely get an extended battery to take care of that issue.  Another negative, which really isn't that big of a deal, is that I can't seem to be able to set different notification messages for the Mail application and my text messaging.  It all comes under one sound.  I guess it would be nice to be able to tell when I get an email from work or when it's a buddy of mine saying hey.  Another issue is the keyboard.  I have always been a fast "texter" and typer, on any device.  I have been used to touchscreen keyboards with my iPod touch 4 for a while now.  However on this Droid, it plainly just sucks.  Every time I type I seem to hit the "." key as opposed to the space.  The keys are responsive, but its difficult to "aim" to hit the right letter.  Don't even get me started with the auto correct feature.  When I type a word that isn't in the phones dictionary and I still want to send it.  The phone doesn't let me unless I either turn the phone sideways or add it.  So far those are the only negatives I see.

After :D
Ok now for the positives.  First of all its on Verizon.  Out of all of the reviews I have read myself, I feel that, though pricey (then again who isn't) it is the most reliable network  Over the past 6 years I have been on Verizon, I might have had a half a dozen dropped calls and that was always through the mountains on the Palisades Parkway.  The widgets are awesome.  Most of the applications I have have large widgets that give me an option to see live updates without opening up the application.  The live wallpapers give the phone a nice 21st century feel to it.  The calls come in very clear, multitasking is simple to use, the the phone as a whole is extremely responsive. Another thing that needs to be cleared up.  I have heard a lot of people say that mail does not come in quickly on the Droid phones.  That's a load of nonsense. If someone sends an email, it takes under 3-4 minutes to get it.  If you can't wait that long, you have mental issues.  The screens are beautiful, social networking is a breeze and web pages load very quickly. 

I would definitely recommend this phone.  After my $30 credit and a $55 mail in rebate it came to an even $100.  It's nice to know after finishing another 2yr contract I am worth a whole $30.  That just makes me feel complete...


No comments:

Post a Comment